US TAX GUIDE IN THE UAE

Do I need to report to the IRS if I own a foreign corporation?

It depends on the extent of your ownership. For example, if you own 25% of a foreign corporation and the remaining 75% is owned by non-US individuals, you must file specific forms with the IRS.

What forms do I need to file as a partial owner of a foreign corporation?

If you own 25% of a foreign corporation, you must file Form 5471, detailing the corporation’s address, share details, and the value of your shares.

What if I own more than 50% of the corporation?

Owning more than 50% classifies the corporation as a Controlled Foreign Corporation (CFC). US shareholders must pay taxes on their share of the CFC’s net income, even if the profits are not distributed.

What should I do if I’m planning to create a foreign corporation?

Consult a tax professional before establishing a foreign corporation to get tailored advice and ensure compliance with US tax laws.

What are the important points to remember as a US shareholder of a foreign corporation?

  • Understand Your Obligations: Know the filing requirements based on your ownership percentage.
  • Be Aware of CFC Rules: Understand how CFC status affects your taxes.
  • Consult Experts: Seek advice from a tax advisor to ensure compliance and optimize your tax position.

More about the UAE guide