Does a Saudi business owner with US citizenship need to file a US Foreign Corporation Tax Return?

Yes, if you own or control a significant portion of a foreign corporation, you need to file Form 5471 to report your interest and comply with US tax laws.

What is Form 5471 used for?

Form 5471 is for US citizens who are officers, directors, or shareholders in foreign corporations to report their transactions and activities.

When do I need to file Form 5471?

  • 10% or More Ownership: Required to report on Form 5471.
  • Less Than 10% Ownership: Typically not required unless combined family ownership exceeds 10%.

What if I own more than 50% of the foreign corporation?

Owning more than 50% makes it a Controlled Foreign Corporation (CFC), meaning the corporation’s net income is taxable to you, even without distributions.

What should I do before establishing a foreign corporation?

It’s best to consult a tax professional to understand the tax implications and reporting requirements, which will prevent future issues from cropping up.

I’m an existing shareholder who forgot to file, what should I do?

Contact a tax professional to explore options like the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures to correct past non-compliance without severe penalties.

What else should I know?

If you have signature authority over the corporation’s bank account, report it on your Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR).

More about the Saudi guide